Tuesday, January 25, 2011

To Be A Kid Again


Being a stay at home dad is something I never thought would fit me. I mean I am a go-getter, a guy who just jumps at opportunities and loves to be active in many different areas of life at once.  It was not until recently that I began noticing what it was that really had me loving being at home with my two year old.

I am and will always be a kid at heart.  I love joking around and playing games.  I enjoy laughter and being around people who can make me laugh, and I really dislike putting myself in the stresses of daily adult life.  You know what kind I am talking about, where us adults focus on so many things that has no relevance to the day or even the week we are living in. 

The phone bill do at the end of the month causes us so much stress even when it is just the first day of the month.  Or the grocery lists that are never ending and lead to long lines with people who are so rude and inconsiderate.  Or how about the to do list full of things that are not leading to what you really want, but you do them and still are stressed out because what it is you really desire is not being attended to.  All these stresses in our life continually add up and leave us unhappy and just trying to survive.

I was apart of this crowd.  I was constantly in a state of stress.  And although now I have calmed myself from always being in this state, I still find myself going back to this place I call Adult Ville and have to always work on keeping out.

That is why I love my kids.  I stay at home with my youngest during the day and am always in for a new adventure.  Well in her mind it is a new adventure, in mine it is Tuesday midmorning and were doing “play time with her toys”.  After that we hit the grocery store, followed by lunch and then good old naptime.  See there I am in Adult Ville.  But in her eyes every moment is something brand new.  She plays with a toy like it is the first experience with it, but the funny thing is she sleeps with it every day. 

My other three are just the same.  I pick them up from school, and then it is homework, then snack, followed by a little clean up session.  UGH! there I go in Adult Ville again.  To them they come home and are always playing the “what if game”, or hide and go seek in between snack and clean up.  My favorite is the quick nerf gun war where they are all a different character every time.  "I call spiderman! (spiderman doesn't have a gun!) ya huh! His is a web gun that shoots and can catch bullets too! "

Looking at my kids and the way they truly enjoy life has made me a better person.  I want that youthful spirit.  I lost a lot of that before becoming a stay at home dad.  Do I get frustrated to the point where I feel my head is going to explode?  You bet ya!  But I also find myself being able to lose myself from Adult Ville even if it is just for two minutes, and remember what it is like to live in the moment!

Own yourself! Run your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment